How to Plan your Version of the Perfect Honeymoon!
Today's blog features tips and tricks on how to plan the perfect honeymoon straight from the luxury travel expert herself, Jessica White, with Jessica White Travel!
Your perfect wedding requires a lot of planning, and is something you dream about for months (maybe years) before the day you say “I Do.” But what about your honeymoon? At the end of the day your wedding is probably 5 – 8 hours, whereas your honeymoon may be 7 – 15 days and be the first time you get to relax and spend quality time as newlyweds. Your honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so why not make it a trip that you and your new spouse will remember for the rest of your lives?
Here are my 7 top tips on how to create a honeymoon that is not only spectacular, but perfectly designed for you:
1. Don’t wait! The earlier you begin planning the better. Depending on the time of year, starting at least 6 months before you want to go is ideal, if not even 9 – 12 months for certain vacations like a safari or river cruise. If you have a specific resort or destination in mind, don’t drag your feet…get to it!
2. Close your eyes… and imagine you are on your honeymoon. What are you doing? Are you relaxing on a beach, exploring somewhere exotic, or wandering through city streets? What do you want to be doing together as a couple? Brainstorming not only where you want to go and what you want to do, but how you want to feel on your honeymoon will help you find the perfect place for you.
3. Decide as a couple. It is all good practice for married life 😊. You want to make sure you pick a vacation that both of you will enjoy. Are you fast-paced or more relaxed? Do you want to go for 5 days or 3 weeks? Do you care more about stunning views, great food, incredible nature or unique experiences? How far are you willing to travel? These are all questions that you should answer together. A travel advisor can also help by asking probing questions to figure out your travel style and match you to a destination that fits your individual travel needs and preferences.
4. Timing is key. When it comes to real estate, people always say “Location! Location! Location!” When it comes to travel, I always say “Timing! Timing! Timing!” Tourism is seasonal. It is cheaper to go to Europe in the winter and the Caribbean in the summer. There are holidays to navigate, availability to consider, weather patterns to watch and more, so finding the right time and place to go on a trip is like a jigsaw puzzle. If you are on a budget, maybe consider going somewhere during the destination’s shoulder or off-season. There is always the option of going on a mini-moon right after your wedding and then delaying your honeymoon to a more ideal travel time.
5. Find balance. One of the biggest mistakes I see with honeymoon couples is that they try to fit too much into their honeymoon vacation. They attempt to visit too many places, and don’t have the opportunity to truly relax. Or on the other hand they are an active couple but think a honeymoon is supposed to be a fancy resort on a beach and find they do not have enough to do. Finding that balance is both a science and an art, so making sure you have a destination that will fit the mold for what works for you is important.
6. Determine *and set aside* a budget. The oh-so-illusive “budget” can sometimes be hard to nail down for a trip. Most people have no idea where to start. Even if you cannot think of an exact amount you want or have to spend, can you come up with a range you would feel comfortable with? Or maybe can you think of a price per night on a hotel you feel comfortable with? The other option is to work backwards and determine exactly what you want, how much that will cost, and then set aside that amount for the trip. Either way, figure out a ballpark range of how much you want to spend and go from there.
7. Don’t try to do it all by yourself! There is so much to plan with a wedding, so if you are even feeling a little stressed about the honeymoon planning, or you just want to check one thing off your list with confidence – it might be worth hiring a travel advisor to help. Not only does an advisor take care of all the little details, they can also ensure you get the VIP treatment everywhere you go (trust me, the honeymoon VIP treatment is ah-mazing). It is your honeymoon after all, and you will likely be planning the wedding at the same time, so you want to make sure the process is as stress-free as possible.
If you follow those 7 steps you will be well on your way to your perfect honeymoon!
Your dedicated honeymoon guru,
Owner, Luxury Travel Consultant